Starting today I will occasionally be posting about Trans issues, myths, facts etc to give a better insight into the Trans community. I am not making the assumption that any of you know nothing about being Trans or trying to force any kind of agenda on you. This is more for people who would like to know more but don't know how to (or are a little scared to) ask me about such things. There will be some posts about misconceptions that anger me, but for the most part I hope to just shed some light on the facts, or issues that affect the community.
Keep in mind I'm not above making mistakes and getting things wrong myself, as I'm still fairly new to the whole Trans thing myself. For starters some people will get very offended if you don't use the most up-to-date correct terms that exists, I'm not one of those people. For some, the term Trans must have an asterix after it (Trans*) but given there are far bigger issues to worry about, I couldn't really care less about such trivial things. There are also people who will get angry if you don't use the full LGBTQI abbreviation, but I'm happy with other more laid back terms like queer, which tends to cover everything anyway.
To kick things off I will start with a term that we use, but the people it refers to may not know what it means, or that it even exists. The term Cisgendered (or Cis for short) refers to people who identify as the sex they were born with, and until a few years ago I wasn't even aware of it. The purpose of this term is to move away from using "normal"to refer to everyone who isn't Trans, as this would suggest that all Trans people are abnormal or wrong. Using the term Cis is a step forward in accepting transgender people as normal rather than something outside of the general population.
No comments:
Post a Comment